The Maritime Trades Department, AFL-CIO (MTD) will hold its annual executive board meeting March 8-9 at the Buena Vista Palace near Orlando, FL.
The MTD typically uses these meetings to set a legislative agenda for the year and to highlight issues that are expected to dominate the public discourse.
This year, the Department will consider the importance of securing adequate funding for maritime programs, including the Maritime Security Program, cargo preference, Title XI and port modernization. It also will be discussing ways of promoting job growth in the industry and what to do about the growing attacks on organized labor.
Speakers who have already accepted invitations to address the meeting include the following:
- Paul Anderson, CEO, Jacksonville Ports Authority;
- Joseph Angelo, Managing Director, INTERTANKO;
- RADM Mark H. Buzby, MSC Commander;
- RADM Wendi Carpenter, President, SUNY-Maritime;
- RDML Michael S. Devany, NOAA Marine and Aviation Operations Center;
- U.S. Rep. Michael Grimm (R-NY);
- Barry Holliday, Executive Director, Dredging Contractors of America;
- Capt. Andrew McGovern, President, United NJ Sandy Hook Pilots Association;
- Robert Mitchell, CEO, Atlantic Wind Connection;
- U.S. Rep. Cedric Richmond (D-LA);
- AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka;
- Jon Whitlow, ITF Seafarers’ Section Secretary; and
- U.S. Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis, who will be appearing via video.
For more information, please contact the department at 202-628-6300.